Insalata Caprese Italian Recipe
Pure summer on a plate! Make sure to use ripe tomatoes and the very best fresh mozzarella you can find—serve it at room temperature to bring out every hint of mellow flavor.
||fresh Buffalo mozzarella
||extra virgin olive oil
||fresh basil leaves
||freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the tomato and mozzarella into ½ inch slices.
2. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices—alternating and overlapping on a plate. (You may also divide and stack the slices by placing a tomato topped with cheese on individual plates.)
4. Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella (If stacking them, do this step before plating them.
5. Cut or tear the basil leaves and sprinkle over the top.
6. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the flavors meld. Do not refrigerate.
5 minutes plus 20 minutes down time.