Bursting with pure, deep strawberry flavor, this beautiful mixture is the only glaze worthy of peak-season berries – the sticky-sweet store-bought stuff doesn’t compare. Red food coloring adds a bit of drama, but if you’re a purist, it’s certainly not necessary.
|2||cups||strawberries, cut into small pieces|
|1||tablespoon||freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|~||red food coloring (optional)|
- Combine the strawberries, water and sugar in a bowl and squish with clean hands to gently crush the fruit, releasing its juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- Pass the mixture through a mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing the berries to release as much juice as possible. Discard the fruit pulp.
- Add the cornstarch to the berry juice, whisking until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in to a saucepan set over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened --- approximately 2 minutes.
Note: Adjust the heat as needed while cooking to maintain a gentle simmer and prevent burning.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and food coloring.
- Cool the glaze until it is just warm before using.