Huevos Rancheros Authentic Mexican Recipe
My friend Santi made this classic at the Shoreline Coffee Shop in Mill Valley until he retired. I’ve sampled huevos rancheros all over California and Mexico, but Santi’s remains the best. The secret is fresh, homemade salsa—no bottled stuff allowed.
||fresh salsa roja*
||refried beans, warmed
||Monterey jack cheese, shredded
*Do not use bottled salsa.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over a medium-high flame until sizzling.
- Dip both sides of the tortilla in the oil, drain it, and place on a plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove and fry the eggs.
- Place the eggs on top of the tortilla.
- Ladle the salsa roja over the top.
- Serve immediately with refried beans and cheese.
Approximately 5 minutes with pre-made salsa roja.