Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Twice Baked Potatoes make for a festive side or can be a meal all on their own. Cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions top these off for a colorful, hearty plate.
Serves 8 potato halves
|| Idaho potatoes
||freshly ground black pepper
||grated cheddar cheese
||chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Create steam vents in potatoes by piercing each with a knife.
- Place potatoes on the middle rack of oven and roast for 45–60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center moves easily through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop the flesh into potato ricer.NOTE: Leave a small amount of potato attached to the skins for easy filling.
- Mash the potatoes through the ricer into a bowl.NOTE: Do not use a food processor or the potatoes will be gummy.
- Heat the milk and butter in a separate pot until hot and melted.
- Pour the mixture into the mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Taste the potatoes and adjust consistency and seasonings to taste.NOTE: For fluffier potatoes, use a hand-held electric mixer. Be careful not to over-beat or they will be gummy.
- Arrange potato skins on a baking sheet and fill with mashed potatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the potatoes on middle rack of oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, until cheese bubbles and potatoes are heated through.
- Remove from oven and top with bacon and green onions if desired.
Approximately 2 hours