Red Velvet Cake with Ultimate Cream Cheese Frosting Red Velvet Cupcakes variation Recipe
When I set out to master red velvet cake, I found many recipes just short of perfection – some were not as moist as I’d like, and others were a truly scary color. After lots of experimentation, I’ve arrived at my own personal favorite; moist and delicious with a rich, sophisticated hue. Don’t plan on leftovers.
|red food coloring*
|Ultimate Cream Cheese frosting
|*This equals 2 one-ounce bottles of food coloring.
Grease two 9-inch or three-8-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt together in a spacious bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy—approximately 2 minutes.
- Set the mixer to low speed and slowly add the oil.
- Add the vanilla.
- Pour the red food coloring into the buttermilk. Mix well.
- Set the mixer to medium speed and alternately add the dry mixture, buttermilk and wet mixture ending with the dry mixture. Mix until combined after each addition, but do not overbeat.
- Combine the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl and let it fizz for a moment. Fold it into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Remove the air bubbles by banging the pans firmly against the counter, then run a knife quickly through the batter to remove any remaining bubbles.
- Place the cake pans on the middle rack of the oven and bake 25–30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes, then invert on cooling racks.
- Wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight before frosting. This helps control the crumbs.
- Remove from the refrigerator and frost with Ultimate Cream Cheese Frosting.
Place paper liners in muffin tin. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees
- Fill the liners 2/3 full. Do not overfill.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 22–25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes thoroughly in their tins before frosting.
under 60 minutes.