When you add homemade marinara sauce to your favorite pastas or meat dishes like chicken parmigiana, it will blow your favorite restaurant right out of the water. Pour some marinara over sliced meatballs on an artisan bun and you have an awesome hot sandwich.
|1||carrot, finely chopped|
|1||cup||red wine (drinking quality)|
|2||tablespoons||fresh basil, chopped|
|1||tablespoon||fresh oregano, chopped|
|1||tablespoon||fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1/2||teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper|
|1||cup||freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|~||basil leaves, for garnish|
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the bay leaf and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the onion and carrot, sautéing until soft.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a bubbling simmer.
- Stir in ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese, mixing well to incorporate.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce, pour into a blender and process.
- Use over your favorite pasta and meat dishes.