When this luscious cake is baking, the only word for the smell is ambrosial.
|1/2||cup||packed brown sugar|
|6||tablespoons||unsalted butter, chilled and cut in small cubes|
|1||cup||chopped pecans, optional|
|3/4||cup||unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1 1/4||cups||2% Greek yogurt|
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray or grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the streusel first: In a small bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or fork, until the mixture is coarse and sandy. Stir in the pecans, if desired. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Scrape the bowl and add the vanilla and yogurt, mixing until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture with mixer on low speed and blend.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture.
- Spread the remaining batter on top and sprinkle the remaining streusel evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the top springs back and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a metal rack.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature for 3–5 days, or freeze.
Baking Time for the tube pan:: 50–55 minutes
Baking time for the 13x9-inch baking pan: 40– 45minutes