A warm and delicious baked custard with flavors borrowed from Black Forest cake.
|1||16-ounce bag||frozen pitted sweet (Bing) cherries, thawed and drained|
|1/4||cup||Dutch process cocoa|
|2–3||tablespoons||kirsch or brandy, optional|
|~||lightly sweetened whipped cream, for garnish|
|~||chocolate curls, optional|
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Butter or spray six 1-cup custard cups or ramekins.
- Divide the cherries among the cups.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, cocoa, salt and sugar.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, two at time, alternating with the half-and-half; continue beating until just mixed.
- Pour the batter evenly over the cherries in each cup.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the clafoutis are puffed and set in the center.
- Spoon a bit of kirsch into each cup, if desired, and let cool just until warm. They will sink slightly.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate curls.