A layered adventure of flavors and textures, these heavenly bars combine a brownie crust with ultra-sweet minty filling and a surprising topper of unsweetened chocolate. Prepare to become addicted!
|1/2||cup||unbleached all purpose flour|
|3||tablespoons||unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1 1/2||teaspoons||peppermint extract|
|a few drops||green food coloring (if desired)|
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray an 8x8” pan.
- Prepare layer one: In a small saucepan melt the chocolate and butter together. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, cream the eggs and sugar. Add the flour, salt and chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool on a metal rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare layer two: using an electric mixer, cream together the powdered sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in milk, peppermint extract and green coloring (if desired).
- Spread the mixture evenly on the cooled brownie layer.
- Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.
- For layer three, melt the chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan.
- Pour evenly onto the chilled peppermint layer.
- Refrigerate until set, about 25 minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve.