This fragrant, Indian savory mixture makes a great weeknight meal for family and friends. Serve it with rice, or alongside warm Indian flat bread.
|5||black cardamom pods|
|1||2-inch||cinnamon stick, broken|
|2||whole bay leaves|
|1||cup||drained canned chopped tomatoes*|
|1/2||cup||frozen peas, thawed|
|* Use canned tomatoes from Modena, Italy or Pomi brand tomatoes found in fine grocery stores—Their flavor is superb!|
1. Heat a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet over a medium-high flame. When very hot, add the meat and stir to break up any lumps.
2. Lower the heat, add the cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and peppercorns and mix well. Cook the meat for 7 minutes or until browned.
3. Add the minced onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the ginger and continue cooking for one minute. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
5. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder.
6. Add the tomatoes and salt; stir well.
7. Gradually stir in the water, 1/4 cup at a time.
8. Stir in the peas and cook until heated.
9. Serve immediately.