This simple-yet-satisfying dish blends the tangy spice of salsa verde with the mellow richness of cheese. A sprinkle of crisp onion and fragrant cilantro is the perfect finishing touch.
|2||cups||shredded cooked chicken|
|~||oil for frying|
|1/2||pound||queso fresco, crumbled or Monterey Jack, shredded|
|1/2||white onion, thinly sliced|
|~||cilantro, for decoration|
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the sauce and set aside.
- Pour ½-inch of oil in to a spacious heavy-bottomed pan set over a medium-high flame and heat until almost smoking.
- Soften the tortillas by placing them in the hot oil for 8–10 seconds on each side. Shake off the excess oil.
- Place 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken in to the center of a tortilla.
- Roll it up and place in a 13” 9” x 2” ovenproof baking dish. Repeat until all enchiladas are completed.
- Ladle the sauce over the tops of the enchiladas and top with the cheese. Carefully separate each enchilada so that the sauce gets in between.
- Place the dish in the center of the oven and bake until heated through—approximately 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and decorate with the thinly sliced onion, sour cream, and cilantro.