This creamy dish delights with tiny potatoes, savory spinach and just the right amount of spice.
|2||pounds||fresh spinach, cleaned|
|3/4||teaspoon||red chili powder|
|1||medium||tomato, pureed in blender|
|2||pounds||small red potatoes, cooked|
|*Select the smallest potatoes available at the market, making sure that they are fairly uniform in size.|
- Bring water to a boil, add the spinach and cook briefly until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds to infuse the oil with flavor. Adjust the heat to prevent burning.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Stir in the coriander, chili powder and turmeric.
- Pour in the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Working in batches, place half of the spinach in a blender with ¼ cup of the milk and puree. Repeat the process.
- Combine the pureed spinach with the tomato sauce.
- Add the salt and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add the cooked potatoes.
- Adjust the seasonings and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2–3 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately.