Fresh Peach Pie Glaze
Luscious, peak-season peaches make this simple glaze perfection.
Serves approximately 2 cups
||ripe peaches, cut into small pieces*
||freshly squeezed lemon juice
||yellow food coloring (optional)
Hard, unripe peaches do not work in this recipe. They are flavorless and impossible to squish for the glaze.
- Combine the peaches, water and sugar in a bowl and squish with clean hands to gently crush the fruit, releasing its juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- Pass the mixture through a mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing the peaches to release as much juice as possible. Discard the fruit pulp.
- Add the cornstarch to the peach juice, whisking until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in to a saucepan set over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened --- approximately 1-2 minutes.Note: Adjust the heat as needed while cooking to maintain a gentle simmer and prevent burning.
- Cool the glaze to warm and proceed with the Fresh Peach Pie recipe.