Preheat oven to 375 °
1. Pulse flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor just to combine, about 20 seconds.
2. Add egg and vanilla and pulse until the mixture just begins to hold together.
3. Dust hands with flour and evenly press the dough along the bottom and sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
Note: The crust should be approximately 1/4-inch thick.
4. Prick the bottom of the shell several times with a fork, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1–2 hours.
5. Place chilled tart shell on cookie sheet, line shell with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights.
6. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Carefully remove foil and weights by gathering the edges of the foil and pulling up and out. Continue to bake until the shell is golden brown, about 5–10 minutes longer.
8. Cool completely. Tart shell can be made 1–2 days ahead and stored, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.