Croque Madame Sandwich French Recipe
Croque madame is a variation of the classic French ham-and-cheese sandwich, croque monsieur. It’s said that the name “madame” comes from the fried egg on top, which resembles a woman’s hat—or her bosom!
||good sandwich bread
||gruyere or gouda cheese
||thinly sliced ham
||room temperature butter, divided
- Sandwich two slices of cheese and a a slice of ham between two slices of bread. Repeat to make the second sandwich.
- Butter both sides of the sandwiches.
- Melt several tablespoons of butter in a skillet set over medium heat. When hot, add the croque monsieurs and grill until the bread turns golden brown.
- Flip and grill the other side until the cheese melts and the sandwiches are heated through.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve immediately.
Under 10 minutes.