These buttery spiced muffins are a childhood favorite. They’re best served warm— which is a good thing, since no one could resist the aroma long enough for them to cool!
|1 1/2||cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|1 1/2||teaspoons||baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1/3||cup||butter, melted and cooled|
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a muffin tin with paper cups, or use nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and butter.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Batter may be a little lumpy.
- Spoon into muffin tins, filling the cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
- Place the melted butter in another small bowl.
- When the muffins are done, remove them from the pan immediately. Dip the top of each muffin in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve warm.