Working with hot sugar requires caution and precision timing, but these spectacular lava “flames” are well worth the effort when it comes to constructing the Amazing Erupting Volcano Cake.
|~||cinnamon flavoring (if desired)|
|~||red food coloring|
Note: This stuff is smoking hot so be very, very careful. Always have a bowl of ice water close by for immersing your hand if it accidentally touches the hot sugar.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Bring to a boil and heat until the mixture reaches the hard crack stage (300ºF).
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour a small circle of sugar onto one of the prepared pans.
- Use a toothpick to quickly stir in the blue food coloring, creating the “lake.”
- Carefully and quickly stir the red food coloring and cinnamon flavoring into remaining sugar and pour freeform rivulets of “lava” onto second foil-lined pan. (See picture.)
- Allow to cool completely before touching.