For those partial to the nutty crunch of oats, this may be the ultimate apple dessert. (And of course, apples are only one of many possibilities!)
|1||cup||all purpose flour|
|3/4||cup||old fashionded oats|
|1||teaspoon||cinnamon or other spices|
|4||cups||sliced peeled apples or peaches, or other fruit of your choice|
|~||sugar to taste|
|~||spice to taste|
|Note: If using rhubarb, combine 4 cups fresh rhubarb with 3/4 cup water, a few tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and cook until thickened, about 15–20 minutes, then spread over first layer of crust.|
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease and flour a 8x8-inch square pan or 10-inch tube pan.
1. Combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter in a medium bowl.
2. Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan.
3. Combine the fruit with the sweetener and lay in the pan.
4. Combine the fruit with the sugar and spices and layer in the pan.
5. Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture.
6. Bake for 1 hour. Serve warm or cold.