Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you! Thanks to the convenience of the food processor, scrumptious mince filling is incredibly easy to prepare. Piled into tiny tartlets, it’s the essence of holiday cheer.
|Almond Shortbread Crust|
|1/2||cup||slivered almonds, toasted and cooled|
|cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes|
|1||teaspoon||freshly grated lemon rind|
|2||Golden Delicious apples or large Bosc pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped|
|4||ounces||dried figs, coarsely chopped|
|4||ounces||dried apricots, coarsely chopped|
|1/2||cup||good quality brandy|
|1||orange, zest and juice|
|1||lemon, zest and juice|
|1||teaspoon||grated fresh ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1||cup||toasted, sliced almonds, for garnish|
Coat about 20 mini tartlet pans with cooking spray and arrange on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Prepare the crust first: Using a food processor, finely grind the almonds and granulated sugar.
2. Add the powdered sugar, flour and salt, and pulse for an additional 15 seconds.
3. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add the lemon rind and egg yolk and blend about 30 seconds.
5. Gather the dough into a ball.
6. Divide among the prepared pans, pressing into bottom and sides of each pan.
7. Place the tartlet shells on a cookie sheet in the fridge until you are ready to bake the tarts.
8. While the shells are chilling, prepare the mince filling: Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chopped and combined, about 30 seconds.
9. Fill each prepared shell almost to the top with mince filling.
10. Bake until filling is bubbly and the crusts are golden brown, about 15–20 minutes.
11. Cool, unmold and garnish with toasted almonds.