In the time it takes to fry a tortilla, you can whip up this crisp, flavorful dish. Beans, cheese and vegetables make a great starting point, but feel free to pile on leftover chicken or beef and a drizzle of your favorite salsa as well.
|~||oil for frying|
|~||cold refried beans|
|~||quesco fresco, crumbled|
|~||Jalapeno peppers, sliced|
Line a clean work surface with paper towels.
- Pour ¼ inch of vegetable oil into a spacious, heavy-bottomed skillet set over a medium-high flame and heat until almost smoking.
- Lay the tortilla in the oil and fry until golden. Flip and repeat to cook the other side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the tortilla from the oil and place it on the paper towels to drain.
- Place the tortilla on a plate and spread the cold beans on top.
- Top with the lettuce, quesco fresco, tomatoes, avocados and jalapenos.
- Serve promptly.