This crisp, casual salad is a perfect light lunch or summertime supper—and a great way to use up leftover chicken.
|1||recipe||Pico de Gallo Salsa|
|~||vegetable oil for frying|
|1 ½–2||cups||shredded iceberg lettuce|
|8||ounces||cooked chicken breast, shredded**|
|1/2||teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2||cup||queso fresco cheese, crumbled***|
|* You’ll save time with store bought beans but homemade Refried Beans will give the best flavor.** Purchase roasted chicken, use leftovers, or make the Beyond Wonderful Chicken Stock recipe that produces a whole chicken cooked to perfection and ready for shredding.*** Locate this cheese at Mexican or Latin American markets, or substitute feta or Monterey Jack cheese.|
1. Prepare the guacamole and pico de gallo according to recipe instructions; set aside.
2. Pour approximately ½-inch of oil into a heavy-bottomed skillet and set it over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
3. Fry the tortillas one at a time for approximately 45 seconds on each side, or until crisp. Control the heat and carefully add extra oil as required. Set the tortillas on the baking sheet and blot off any excess oil.
4. Warm the beans and set aside.
5. Spread each fried tortilla with a layer of beans, then top with guacamole, lettuce, chicken, and onion.
6. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the six tostadas and top with a tablespoon or two of sour cream and pico de gallo salsa.
7. Place the tostadas on individual plates and serve.