This is a traditional salad similar to sauerkraut or kimchi. Enjoy as a side or serve with cooked pupusas, which are thick corn-stuffed tortillas popular throughout Central America.
|1/2||head||green cabbage, thinly sliced|
|1||small||onion, thinly sliced|
|1||jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup||apple cider vinegar|
- Combine the cabbage, onion, carrot, jalapeño and oregano in a bowl. Toss to mix well and set aside.
- Pour the water and vinegar in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the vegetable mixture, mixing well.
- Sample and salt to taste.
- Let the slaw sit at room temperature overnight. Store in a non-reactive container and refrigerator for up to one month.
- Drain liquid from slaw before serving alongside pupusas.