Green Beans with Bacon, Shallots, and Red Chili Flakes Recipe
If you’ve ever suffered through the mushy casserole so famous at family holidays, this fresh, flavorful dish will restore your faith in green beans. Cook the beans and the bacon earlier in the day, and you can easily throw this together in minutes.
||thick-cut bacon, crumbled
||red chili pepper flakes
||green beans, cooked
||freshly ground pepper
| * Substitute 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil if you prefer.
1.Steam the green beans to crisp-tender for best flavor and color. You may boil them but be careful not to overcook the beans. Set aside.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp and pat off the excess fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
2. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the frying pan and turn the heat to medium-high.
3. Sauté the shallots until soft.
4. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
5. Add the chili flakes and mix well.
6. Add the beans and toss well
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
10 minutes with pre-cooked green beans.