Corn-Cheddar Chowder Recipe
This rich chowder offers a delicious harmony of flavors; sweet corn, smoky bacon and sharp cheddar cheese. Fresh corn in season is always best, but frozen corn also works very well, and makes the chowder a snap to prepare.
|freshly ground black pepper
|Idaho potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
|frozen corn, thawed
|shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese
|bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
|chopped Italian parsley
- Heat the olive oil and butter in large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and stir in the salt. Cook until the onions are golden and translucent, lowering the heat if needed to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle the pepper, turmeric and flour over the onions and toss well.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock while stirring. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a lively simmer.
- Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, partially cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the corn to the chowder and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Slowly add the cream and cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and top with a generous portion of bacon and a bit of parsley.
About 70 minutes.