Making guacamole is more an art than a science, so feel free to adjust the balance of chilies, onion, and lime to suit your taste.
|4||ripe Hass avocados|
|1 –2||Serrano chilies, minced|
|1/4||teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper|
|1||bag||corn or tortilla chips|
1. Cut the avocados in half; remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and place it in a medium bowl.
2. Mash the avocados with a fork until they reach a chunky creamy consistency.
3. Add the lime juice and mix.
4. Cut the tomatoes in half, discard the pulp and seeds, and chop the flesh.
5. Chop the onions, chilies, and cilantro.
6. Add the onions, chilies, half of the tomatoes, half of the cilantro, salt, and pepper to the avocados. Mix thoroughly.
7. Taste the guacamole and adjust the seasonings.
8. Spoon into a serving bowl and decorate with the remaining tomato and cilantro.*
9. Place the guacamole bowl on a serving platter and surround with corn or tortilla chips.
10. Serve immediately.
* If you choose to refrigerate the guacamole before serving, place plastic wrap directly on top of it to slow the browning.