Although I generally favor authentic ingredients over extracts, I found that real rum was too harsh and medicinal in this recipe. Rum extract creates the perfect flavor profile—like a glorified butter rum lifesaver!
|1/2||cup||light corn syrup|
|*You may substitute rum liquor but go easy—if you add too much, the liquor overtakes the butterscotch flavor.|
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring often, until the butter melts.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour the sauce into a heat-resistant mixing bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the vanilla and rum flavorings and mix well.
- Store covered in the refrigerator. Reheat the sauce in the microwave or a heavy-bottomed saucepan before serving.