Traditional gingerbread becomes a decorator’s dream when baked into cute little molds. Find ginger baby molds at fancy kitchen shops or your favorite online cooking supply store. Gather the family and let the creativity run wild!
|1/2||cup||butter, room temperature*|
|1||cup||mild molasses (not blackstrap)|
|~||powdered sugar for dusting|
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease and flour the ginger baby molds and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a spacious bowl.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg and pepper. Mix well.
- Combine the sugars, eggs and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth.
- Pour the boiling water and molasses into a heat-resistant bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour the molasses water into the egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients in several additions. Beat thoroughly but not excessively between each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake molds and place on the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and decorate with buttercream frosting, sprinkles, edible fairy dust and red-hots.