Rich with molasses, a bit of cocoa and three kinds of ginger, this may become your all-time favorite gingerbread.
|1 1/2||teaspoons||ground ginger|
|1/2||cup||unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
|3/4||cup||mild molasses (not blackstrap)|
|3||tablespoons||grated fresh ginger|
|1/2||cup||diced crystallized ginger|
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a gingerbread man pan or a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cocoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, molasses, grated ginger, warm water, vanilla, egg and buttermilk until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30–35 minutes until the top springs back when pressed lightly and a tester inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. (If baking in the gingerbread man pan, fill each “man” just over ½ full and bake for 12–15 minutes until the tops spring back.)
- Serve the gingerbread warm with freshly whipped cream. Alternately, decorate gingerbread men with whipped cream, red hots and chocolate chips.