Snap! These cookies have some spice to them!
|1/2||teaspoon||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1/2||teaspoon||finely ground black pepper|
|1/2||cup||unsalted butter, softened*|
|1/2||cup||dark brown sugar, packed|
|1/2||cup||molasses, not blackstrap|
|*This equals one stick of butter.|
1. In a large bowl sift together the flour, soda, baking powder and spices.
2. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and molasses.
4. Sift in the flour mixture and combine on low speed.
5. Divide the dough into two discs and wrap in plastic.
6. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Lightly grease the baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
8. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into shapes and place on the prepared baking sheets.
9. Bake until crisp, but not too dark, about 20 minutes.
10. Cool on wire racks.