This dough is easy to handle and yields heavenly cookies.
|3 3/4||cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|1||cup||unsalted butter, softened|
|1/2||cup||heavy whipping cream or milk|
|~||For decorating: Royal Icing, luster dust, coarse or “sanding” sugar.|
1. In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and cream to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Divide into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2–3 hours until firm.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease, spray, or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
7. Remove one of the dough disks from the refrigerator.
8. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.
9. Cut into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets.
10.Place cookie sheets in refrigerator or freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, roll out second dough disk.
11.Bake the chilled cookies for 10–12 minutes until the edges are just turning light golden brown.
12.Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
13.Store at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze.