Sparkling Italian Prosecco is the perfect warm-weather wine, and an ideal partner for fruity treats. Choose whichever berries look best at the market, and feel free to experiment with other fruits as well.
|3||cups||berries, such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or husked and quartered strawberries|
|16||ounces||mascarpone, room temperature|
|1||14-ounce package||crisp Italian ladyfingers (savoiardi)*|
*You may substitute one angel food or pound cake, cubed.
- In a medium bowl combine the berries. Set aside.
- Place the mascarpone in a medium bowl. Sift powdered sugar onto the mascarpone, stirring gently. Stir in the lemon zest.
- In another bowl whip the cream to medium peaks using an electric mixer.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- Quickly dunk the ladyfingers in the Prosecco—don’t oversoak or they will dissolve. Arrange the cookies in the bottom of a 3-quart glass bowl or trifle dish.
- Place 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture on top of the ladyfingers, then sprinkle with 1 cup berries. Repeat with two more layers each of ladyfingers, mascarpone and berries, ending with the final cup of berries.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Garnish with sugared flowers, if desired, before serving.