No scent or flavor embodies the holidays quite like pumpkin pie. And lucky for everyone, it’s a cinch to make!
|3/4||cup||packed dark brown sugar|
|1/4||teaspoon||freshly grated nutmeg*|
|1 3/4||cups||pumpkin puree|
|1||12-ounce can||evaporated milk|
|1–2||tablespoons||good bourbon (optional)|
|~||lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh nutmeg, for garnish|
|*If you like, replace all of these seasonings with 2–3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice blend from Savory Spice Shop, which produces some of the best spices I have found. The store was started by a true spice wonk that imports spices from around the world and grinds them fresh each week. www.savoryspiceshop.com|
Preheat oven to 425°
1. In a small bowl, combine sugar and spices.
2. In medium bowl, gently whisk together eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk and bourbon (if desired).
3. Add sugar mixture and stir until well combined.
4. Pour into unbaked crust and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40-50 minutes until set in the middle.
5. Cool and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.