Salsa Roja Authentic Mexican Recipe
Master basic salsa roja, and you’re well on your way to fabulous Mexican food. This zesty mixture provides the flavor foundation for everything from enchiladas to huevos rancheros and beyond.
||onion, chopped in chunks
||cilantro, leaves and tender stems
||water, for thinning salsa
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilies, cilantro, and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. The light red mixture will deepen in color as it cooks.
- Pour a small amount of olive oil in to the pan. Heat over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
- Pour the salsa bring to a lively simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the salsa thickens and takes on a deep, rich red color—approximately 10–12 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
Approximately 40–45 minutes.