A pinch of cayenne and a generous dose of holiday spice give these cookies true snap!
|2||cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|1 1/2||teaspoons||ground cloves|
|1/4||teaspoon||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1||cup||dark brown sugar, packed|
|1/4||cup||mild molasses (not blackstrap)|
|~||`||coarse or “sanding” sugar for decoration|
Preheat oven to 375 °
Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, soda and spices; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and molasses and beat until well combined.
4. Blend in dry ingredients.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in coarse or “sanding” sugar and place
2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake for 10–12 minutes, just until the tops of the cookies are crackled.
Do not overbake.
7. Cool on wire racks. Store at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze.